Watercress: vit. A, B6, C, E, K + iodine, calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, potassium,..
Fact 1: watercress is a superfood, the most nutrient-dense vegetable in the world and it even wins from kale
Fact 2: watercress has more vit. C than oranges, more calcium than milk and more iron than spinach
Nutritional yeast: vit. B’s + complete source of protein, fiber, magnesium, zinc, folic acid, biotin, iron
Fact 3: you can buy nutritional yeast fortified with vit. B12 and it’s glutenfree
Fact 4: nutritional yeast is a healthy replacer for (vegan) cheese, it has a salty, cheesy and nutty taste
Ingredients (3-4 servings):
- olive oil
- 700g/720 ml passata
- pink himalayan salt
- black pepper
- a handful fresh basil
- herb mix: rosemary, thyme, oregano,..
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 courgette (in 1-2 cm cubes)
- a handful pitted black olives (halved)
- 150g red lentils (uncooked)
- 100g mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 aubergine (in 4cm cubes)
- 2 stalks black kale or curly kale (chopped)
- 1 pack pasta/noodles (optional glutenfree)
- Nutritional yeast or vegan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°c and get a baking tray with a baking sheet ready.
- Put the aubergine cubes on the baking tray and drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put them in the oven for +/- 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Get a medium cooking pot, add some olive oil and put on medium heat. Fry the onion until soft, add garlic, lentils, mushrooms, black olives and fry for 2 minutes. Then add the courgette and fry for another minute.
- Add the passata, basil, salt, pepper, herb mix, add some water (+/- 100ml) if the sauce is too thick and give it a good stir.
- When the aubergine is ready, add them into the sauce, turn to lowest heat and let the sauce simmer for +/- 30 minutes, but stir after 15 minutes.
- When the sauce is cooking for 20 minutes, add the kale.
- Take another cooking pan and start boiling water to cook the pasta. Add some salt to the water and follow the instructions to cook the pasta.
- Ready to serve! Don’t forget to put some nutritional yeast or vegan cheese on top and watercress.
Smakelijk! Bon appétit! Enjoy your meal!