Why is it so important to make your own toothpaste? Because commercial toothpaste often contains fluoride, artificial sweeteners and a lot more toxins. The dangers of fluoride toothpaste are:
- tooth discolouration
- tooth decay
- bone damage
- nervous system damage
Making your own toothpaste is also more eco friendly because you can’t recycle the packaging from the commercial toothpaste. You can buy the ingredients in reusable or recycable packaging or you can buy in bulk so it lasts you a long time.
Tip: bamboo toothbrushes are a green and eco friendly alternative to plastic toothbrushes. It’s better for your own health and the planet! Why is it better to choose bamboo?
- plastic toothbrushes take hundreds of years to decompose, while a bamboo toothbrush is compostable and will disappear within 6 months
- plastic toothbrushes contain chemical substances
- health risks when using plastic toothbrushes: diabetes, heart disease, hyperactivity and cancer
Ingredients to make your own toothpaste:
- 5tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 5tbsp organic bicarbonate of soda
- 15 drops peppermint oil
- 5 drops tea tree oil (optional: to make it more antibacterial)
- get a bowl or jar with lid ready, so you can cover up the toothpaste when it’s ready
- mix the coconut oil and bicarbonate of soda together until it’s completely mixed (I used a spoon)
- add the peppermint oil and tea tree oil and give it another mix
- close your bowl/jar with the lid and it’s ready to use!